Welcome to the Manual of Style page. This page will be used as a reference for editors on how to format the articles in the Suikopedia in a more standard, organized manner. You are welcome to discuss any descrepancies or loopholes in the talk page.
- New articles should be named according to the subject's official name.
- E.g: an article on "the protagonist of Suikoden IV" should be named "Lazlo".
- The first line in the intro should be about the subject of the article, and the subject has to be written in bold. This is only for the first sentence about the subject. Please note that the first line should be written with the definite article and the topic is regarded as a singular entity, except for certain cases.
- E.g: Lazlo is the main protagonist in Suikoden IV. He is Snowe's best friend.
- The definite article (the) and indefinite articles (a/an) should be avoided in article titles except if they are used in an official title/name.
- E.g: "The Rune of Punishment" should be named "Rune of Punishment".
- Avoid using the second person pronoun (you) in articles except for strategies and quotes.
- Avoid using plural pronouns for singular nouns.
- E.g: "The player" cannot be referred to as "they". Use the general "he".
- Articles created should be limited to the Suikoden universe. Real world references such as voice actors and game developers should be linked to their respective pages in Wikipedia.
- E.g: Konami should be linked to the respective article in Wikipedia using the line [[wikipedia:Konami]]
- The language of the wiki is American English, considering the fact that the actual gameplay is in American English.
- All game titles should be italicized, except for the article title (there's no coding for that anyway).
- Do not use abbreviations. Suikoden V should be written in full, never use SV or S5.
- Use Roman numerals instead of Arabic numerals for titles except when it is the official name.
- E.g. Suikoden II, not Suikoden 2
- Wikilinking is limited to the first occurrence of the word or phrase.
- The first letters of all original weapons e.g. Twin Destiny Fang, Cheddar etc. must be capitalized.
- Component, minor, or insignificant items can be grouped by an identifying characteristic rather than each item having its own page as long as the details of each component are provided.
- All buttons (except for the analog sticks) should be represented by Template:Button (TBC), particularly in ability, sleight and enemy pages.
- Speculation should not be added into any article whatsoever unless there is enough information to substantiate it. If the article concerns a character about to be released, there shall be a section for speculation, but do not add speculation into the Trivia page.
- Categories on Suikoden Wiki should be in-wiki and in-game.
- Articles filled with spoilers should be tagged with Template:spoiler in accordance with the game, i.e. Template:spoiler|s5 for Suikoden V and Template:spoiler|stac for Suikoden Tactics.
Deleted/previously deleted articlesEdit
- Deleted articles should never be revived on the Wiki until and unless there is enough information to substantiate them.
- If an article is too stubby and should be merged with another, Template:Merge should be used. The remaining articles (which are remnants of the merger) should be marked with Template:Delete.
- If an article was created or revived in bad faith and has little or nothing to do with the Suikoden universe, use the Template:Tname template.
- All discussions about articles for deletion should take place in Talk:Articles for Deletion.
Work is in progress.
- Each character gets an article, as long as it is under the sphere of the Suikoden series.
- Each playable character should have an Infobox designed for the game in which the character appears: Characterbox for all playable and non-playable characters/108 Stars of Destiny.
- Insert as much official and relevant character artwork and image as possible, added with captions for explanation, but try not to go overboard. An image every five lines does more damage than good.
- Character Quotes are encouraged to be placed in between sections, but are not necessary.
- If a character is fought against, a separate article under Category:Enemies should be created entailing strategies to defeat him/her. More info under Enemies section.
- Place relevant navigational templates at the bottom of the article.
- Finally, categorize a character article based on the categories under the Category:Characters.
- For an example of what a proper character article should look like or what every editor should aspire to make the character page look like in terms of formatting, refer to the following article: Arshtat Falenas.
- Guide entry - an official source which provides a brief description about a character's personality/origins etc.
- Abilities/fighting style - a summary, as abilities will be treated on separate pages.
- Quotes - key quotes of each character. A maximum of ten is allowed for this section.
- Trivia - encouraged but only to a certain extent, as long as it is related and makes sense.
- Do not insert redundant information into the trivia section, particularly when the information is already contained within the main article body.
- A trivia section should have, at the most, seven points. If merging bits of trivial information to the main body is possible, then by all means, do so.
- No distasteful information is to be put in the trivia sections, or in any other part of the character articles.
- Each location gets an article, as long as it is under the sphere of the Suikoden series.
- Images are encouraged.
- Categorize accordingly: each world under Category:Locations, each world locations categorized under category named after the world.
- Type the relevant navigational templates at the bottom of the world article.
- oo0kPlaces - listing the sub-locations in each world and the events that take place.
- Characters - list only residents, not visitors.
- Story - the story events that have taken place.
- Shops - a guide of items sold here, and where they can be found.
- Lottery Locations/Prizes - where the lottery can be played, and what items can be won.
- Enemies - a list of enemies that appear.
- Treasure List - where the world's treasure chests can be found, and what are contained inside them. Hidden items all over the locations are also a plus.
- Mini-Games - a list of mini-games that might be found in the respective worlds, and on which location they may be activated, or who you need to talk to to activate them. Do not elaborate on the objectives of these games, as they will be covered in their respective pages.
- Each enemy/boss gets an article.
- At least one image must be placed for identification.
- Add a stats Infobox.
- Categorize accordingly: Category:Enemies. Add the Category:Bosses if it is a Boss, regardless of type.
- Place navigational templates as relevant.
- Story - Add if there is any relevant story info. This is the first section.
- Abilities - battle information.
- Appearances - if it appears more than once. List all the places where the enemy appears.
- Etymology - if applicable.
For Items & EquipmentEdit
- Each item and equipment gets an article. Seriously, even a Medicine. Why? Items & Equipments must be documented of its appearance in all games and how, and possibly where to retrieve them.
- An image should be placed for identification.
- Place templates as appropriate.
- Items fall under the Category:Items whilst weapons fall under the Category:Weapons.
- Requirements - for Equipment, how to retrieve said item.
- Stats - for Equipment
- Recipe - for Item/Equipment Synthesis, listing all possible.
- See also - higher/lower tiers of the item in question.
- There should be parent articles for abilities from each game. Abilities from Suikoden, Suikoden II and so on should have their own pages.
- Key abilities and recurring abilities get their own pages.
- At least one image for identification.
- Abilities from Runes should be from their respective Rune pages, and should not have their own articles. **e.g. Voice of Death and Eternal Ordeal should be just explained under Rune of Punishment.
- If the ability is a highly dynamic one (e.g. Friendship Attack), then consider the following possibilities:
- a few images should be placed in a timeline for editors and readers to understand the sequence. The number of frames in the timeline depends on the length of the ability.
- alternatively, an animated .gif or a short video clip may be used.
- Categorize it as appropriate. The general category is Category:Abilities.
- Where the ability may be learnt (or at which level).
- Head images for articles should be renders or in-game captures. If neither are available, artwork, screenshots or scans from other sources are acceptable.
- New images should only be uploaded over old images if you are replacing the image with a better quality version.
- Videos should be placed at the bottom of the article in their own section.
- There shall be a maximum of four videos per article.
- If the videos are taken from YouTube, the frame color must be similar to that of the Infobox color, and no related videos are allowed.
- Music samples for music-related articles/location-related articles are encouraged.
- Only a 30-second snippet is allowed. Do not place the entire file as this will be a violation of copyright.
- Do not link to file-sharing sites, or sites offering illegal music downloads.
- Userbox images should be cropped or resized to no larger than 50 pixels.
- Only face shots (and perhaps a bit of the shoulders) are allowed for character userboxes, not the entire body.